Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I Don't Believe in the Publishing Fairy Anymore

Once upon a time, about nine years ago, I finished writing a book. I wrote those glorious words, THE END. It was THE END of years of dreaming, hoping, wishing, and working. It was THE BEGINNING of my education in the other half of what goes into making one of those rectangular, paper things with shiny covers that you find on the shelf at the library. Now that I'd written a book, of course the next step was to get it published. But that was going to be easy, right?

I had this idea in my head that if I was a good little girl and fed the mice and did my chores, the Publishing Fairy would descend with gossamer wings and a sparkly wand and grant me a publishing contract. All I had to do was sit quietly my the corner by the sooty fireplace and send out a few query letters now and then.

Eh, it ain't happening.

I'm a proud admirer of the members of our crew here at the Scribblers Cove who didn't sit around waiting for the Publishing Fairy, but instead went and got their own ride to the ball. Sue and Emily have both found success in the self-publishing arena. I know they both work hard at self-promotion, but that's not much different from authors who go the traditional publishing route. At our last SCBWI-Hawaii conference I asked a friend who recently published with a traditional publisher how her second book was coming along. She rolled her eyes and said, "I had no idea how much less time you have for writing after you're published." Then she went on to talk about book signings, school visits, and all the things she does on the internet to promote her book.

No matter which way you do it, publishing isn't a happy ending. It's another beginning.

I'm still all starry-eyed about going to the ball, but I'm taking a different approach now. I don't want to have to run off at midnight because I'm afraid my gown's going to turn back to rags. No, I want to be there because that's where I belong. Not long after I finished my first manuscript, a friend of mine gave me a great book on writing style that was even better than a magic ball gown. My writing improved almost immediately, and I went on to read and study several more books on the craft. About five years ago I started going to writing workshops and conferences, which not only taught me more about how to create great books, but built a network of helpful, supportive friends who were doing exactly what I was doing. Since that first time I wrote THE END, I've written four more books and now I'm about to start a fifth. Most of all I'm trying to develop habits that will carry me not just to publishing, but sustain me throughout a full writing career.

See you at the ball.

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha, nice analogy, Rebecca. I remember feeling the same way. It's been a few years since I realized it took a little more than that, and a few more years to find the best avenues to travel. But it's been an adventurous road, made pleasant by the wonderful writing friends I've met along the way. Thanks for being one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Jonene. I guess I should apologize to anyone out there who has just finished writing their first book and just started looking into publishing. If anyone had told me, "give it ten years" back then I would have sat down and cried. On this side of it, though, it makes sense. I had a lot to learn.

      Delete
  2. Does this mean you're joining us crazy indies, Rebecca? I have to say, I keep hoping indie publishing will make trad publishers step up their game, because right now, you are correct, the workload if you're trad is roughly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's two ingredients I'm still missing. One is the built-in audience that both you and Sue had from your blogs and from publishing one book with a small publisher. I also need to create a manuscript that I totally believe in. So I'm not ready to jump in right away, but I'm watching you and I like what I see.

      It used to be that if you wanted to be a recording artist you had to start out with getting a contract. But now most people just go rent a recording studio, or buy their own equipment, and put their stuff online and see what happens. I think books may be going that same route. Oh, and by the way, my band will probably have its first recording session in a couple of weeks...

      Delete
    2. My "built-in audience" was very small when I launched my first indie book. Seriously. The thing that builds audience is the work - it's very much like the recording artist example you have above. And how cool that you're recording for realz!!

      Delete
    3. I didn't have a blog as EM Tippetts until I went indie, and VERY few of my readers from my Covenant days crossed over, so really, you're as good to go as I was. Let me know if you want any help with wheel fixing, gown selection, dance practice, etc. It's not a real party until you're here!

      Delete
    4. That makes sense, actually. How can you build an audience unless there's something to share with them?

      Delete
  3. You SO belong at the Ball! I'm waiting for you - I don't care if you arrive in a pumpkin or the King's Carriage, but I'll be here to hold your hand and brag about your beautiful dress when you get here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, and I'm proud to be one of the ones who had the privilege of pointing you toward the castle. I'll be there myself once I get this darn wheel fixed.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Rebecca. I am a huge fan of self-publishers and I know this is only going to get more and more recognition. There are some great writers out there, and from what Sue says, you are definitely one to be read. You just got to my To Be Read List.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaye! Whether I end up self-published or traditionally published, it will be the recommendations of people who read my books and tell their friends that will mean more than anything. Best wishes to you, too.

      Delete

What be on yer mind?